With the increasing popularity of CBD-infused products and the rise of hop water as a refreshing non-alcoholic beverage, many might wonder if there’s a connection between the two. Does hop water contain CBD? Let’s delve into the relationship between hop water, hops, and CBD to shed light on this topic.
Understanding Hop Water and CBD
Hop Water: Hop water is essentially water that’s been infused with hops – the same flowers used in beer production to provide bitterness and aroma. Typically carbonated, hop water offers a beer-like taste without the alcohol content.
CBD (Cannabidiol): CBD is a naturally occurring compound found in the cannabis plant. It’s one of over a hundred cannabinoids in cannabis but is particularly well-known for its potential therapeutic benefits without the psychoactive effects often associated with THC.
Hop water can often be combined with other flavors or extracts which in the case of CBD hop water, is ‘normal’ hop water with added CBD. It is common for other extracts to be added to hop water, such as ashwagandha.
Is There CBD in Hops?
Interestingly, both hops and cannabis belong to the Cannabaceae family. Given their botanical kinship, there have been instances where certain types of hops have shown traces of compounds similar to CBD. However, these compounds are not exactly the same as the CBD derived from the cannabis plant. Moreover, the amounts are minimal, and it’s not a standard characteristic of all hops.
Hop Water and CBD: The Verdict
Most traditional hop waters on the market do not contain CBD. They are crafted to capture the essence of hops in terms of flavor and aroma, not to deliver the benefits of CBD.
However, with the increasing demand for CBD products, some companies have started to produce CBD-infused hop water. This blend aims to offer the refreshing taste of hop water combined with the potential benefits of CBD. In such products, CBD is added during the production process rather than being a natural constituent of the hops themselves.
Whilst CBD can bring it’s own benefits, many people seek out hop water with CBD to feel ‘a buzz’ similar to drinking an alcoholic drink. But regardless, this still makes hop water a safe drink to consume.
What to Consider When Buying CBD-infused Hop Water
- Check the Label: Always look at product labels to determine if the hop water contains CBD. Brands should clearly indicate the presence and amount of CBD.
- Quality of CBD: Like all CBD products, it’s essential to choose a brand that provides information about the source, extraction method, and quality of the CBD used.
- Regulation and Legality: Ensure you’re aware of the regulations surrounding CBD products in your country or state. While CBD is legal in many places, rules can vary, especially when it comes to consumable products.
- Expected Effects: Remember that while both hop water and CBD can have calming effects, they work differently. If you’re new to CBD, start with a lower dose to see how your body reacts.
- Price: Hop water itself is generally an expensive product. Drinks containing CBD as well are likely to be even more expensive to purchase.
While traditional hop water does not contain CBD, the evolving market has seen a merger of these two trends, resulting in CBD-infused hop water products. If you’re seeking the combined experience of hop flavor with the potential benefits of CBD, ensure you choose a reputable brand and always read labels carefully. If you’re looking for just the flavor of hops, regular hop water without CBD will do the trick.